Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hi everyone, here is Gordon's email to officially kick-off our Youth Aflame Connection 2012. Let me remind you that the dates are September 12-16, with the 12th being the meet 'n greet at the Kirkley Hotel.

I'll be sending out a detailed email with more information, but please note the dates. We only have a little over 7 months before we'll be together again!! That excites me.

On a personal note, Larry and I can never thank you enough for your prayers, calls, emails, cards, gifts, etc., etc., etc. that you showered upon us while we walked the cancer road again. I am feeling really, really good! Getting stronger every day. By September I'll be good as new :)

Love,
Sheila
===========================================================

Greetings to All:
I just returned home from teaching my Youth Ministries Classes at Shasta Bible College and
I was reminded that my seven students are the next generation of YA and I was prompted to get
this note out to all of you. I still lecture from the original notes created for you in 1971. With just
eight months left before our next gathering, I felt like I needed to reflect on what are objectives
are this time around.
Our time in 2009, as many of you testified to, was special in so many ways. It was so evident
the God took over and the Spirit of God reigned over the entire Reunion. It was indeed a gathering
with great emotion and inspiration that humanly would be difficult to reproduce. This time there
will, of course, be emphasis on being reunited since our time in 2009 was short, plus
there were many who missed 2009 and are planning to come this time. However there was a strong
consensus after 2009 that we needed to meet again and focus on ways of perpetuating the spirit and
sense of power that we all felt, the same spirit that helped build LU and subsequently built a host
of dynamic ministries worldwide.
Therefore, we are going to attempt to "CONNECT" all of us in the various endeavors that we
are involved in. I list some of the areas that come to mind. Perhaps you could suggest others.
1. Local Church Youth Ministry 6. Media and Publishing
2. Para-Church Youth Ministry 7. Business and Finance
3. Senior Pastor 8. Music
4. Education 9. Camping and Retreats
5. Missions

I will be asking some of you to "chair" the various groups that will discuss ways of "connecting"
for the possible benefit for all and the Cause of Christ. Perhaps the conclusions of these groups
will be less than we might anticipate and if so that will be fine. You should know that this is not
some project I am promoting. I will be well on my way to 76 yrs. by the "Connection" and find myself
slowing down, I have even turned Lassen Pines Retreat Center over to my son, Scott. I was reminded
recently at Roscoe's memorial service (which Vernon did and did a great job, he was surely inspired)
that time is fleeting for some of us. You all and your disciples must carry the torch as you already are.
If we can do it better together, great! If not, then that is fine too.
Another emphasis of the "Connection" will be to expose the LU students (especially Youth, Missions,
and Pastors Majors) to the YA Spirit. This is at the University's request. Whatever you are doing
will be displayed and promoted in booths in the halls of the Religion Building. You should be preparing
displays and promotional materials to share with all. Details of size, etc. will follow. We anticipate
having most of our gatherings and meals on campus.
I know that economic times are rough for many of you but this could be our last go 'round for
some time so please make every effort to be there I am excited to see you all again and please know
that Dottie and I pray every day for you all. Your Facebook notes and emails have been a great
blessing to us.
I am sure that, with me, you praise God for Sheila's recovery and Larry's faithfulness. I can not
conceive of doing this project without her. We also appreciate Lynn Brady's interest in the project
remembering that she and her husband are YA alumni.

Love you all,
Gordon

No comments: